Art Journal - Playing with Inktense pencils

©CindyRippe 2013 - Inktense Watercolor pencil for Mixed Media background

I'm participating in Kelly Hoernig's Art Amusement Journal challenge on facebook and decided to journal based on the word I chose for this year.  My word is ACCOMPLISHED. It's who I am and what I do. (That's my positive affirmation - right now it's who I want to be and what I want to do!)

Kelly let me borrow her set of 12 Derwent Inktense pencils so I thought it would be fun to experiment. I have almost every brand of colored pencil (including the other Derwents, but haven't tried these yet.  They are watercolor pencils but after you wet the color it dries permanently which allows you to layer other wet media without causing to move.

I created the background by filling in heavy strokes of color across the top of the page (about 1 1/2" sections) that overlapped to create addition colors between.  I then took a 3/4" Wash brush to really wet the color and let it drip down the page.  After that was dry, I did a free-hand sketch of leaves and flowers with an fine Pitt Pen.  (They aren't based on any real plant - I was watching TV and just played)   The dry ink wash was really easy to draw over.  The wax that holds the pigment had dissolved and the pen didn't skip at all.
©CindyRippe 2013 - Inktense Watercolor pencil for Mixed Media full page
I painted the leaves and flowers with the regular Derwent Watercolor pencils and added a few white highlights with white acrylic paint on the flower petals.  I went back to reinforce some of the line work and decoupaged a bible verse that I tore out from last year's Daily Guidepost book.

I'm not sure what I'll put on the rest of the page but it will be a nice background to work on.  Thanks for letting me play with those pencils today Kelly!

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.  Proverbs 16:9

2 comments:

I love reading your comments and appreciate that you are taking the time to visit. Note: All comments are moderated and will be reviewed before posting so they might not show up immediately. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...