Decorating my Datebook - Mixed Media - Flora's Art Adventures

The Documented Life Project, Artistic Calendar, Daily Planner with Mixed Media Techniques, Pen & Ink with Colored Pencil, Washi Tape page edges, Decoupage, Acrylic Color Wash, ©Cindy Rippe2014
Flora's been helping me with my 2014 Daily Planner - Mixed Media Techniques - ©CindyRippe2014
For the last few years I've been using a planner that has a full page for each day. (more room to write the lists that I love to make)  The DayMinder that I bought this year doesn't have monthly calendar pages or dividers.  I decided to get creative and make it fun. Flora inspired me to paint flowers, but then again, that's the first thing I think of when designing a new project anyway.

The Documented Life Project, Watercolor paper dividers for the months, layering Acrylic Wash, Colored Pencil, Pen & Ink, Washi Tape, Narcissus Flower and Bulb, ©CindyRippe2014
Before and after - Mixed Media Daily Planner for 2014 - ©CindyRippe
I cut page dividers and tip-outs (pages that fold out) from watercolor paper. If I do this project again I would use bristol board, the watercolor is a little thicker than I like but it worked.

After drawing a blank calendar template on the monthly pages I taped the edges with washi tape (butterflies by Tim Holtz) and then taped the divider directly onto the first page of each month with matte transparent tape.  While sketching a flower for each month I laid a piece of tracing paper on the top of the template.  My original intention was to only paint/sketch over the blank squares but as you can see I got carried away. I just reinforced the inked dates and lines after I finished painting.  Freehand sketching gave me the freedom to make the plant grow in any direction that I like.

Each page has a different color scheme that I carried out to the border with a wash of acrylic paint.  I painted right over the transparent and washi tapes.  I chose one butterfly on the washi tape to paint and detail (SEE ARROW above)  To add more color to overall look of the planner the tip-out pages and loose "TODAY" divider are decoupaged with scrapbook papers. (not shown here)  I used matte medium for that.


1 comment:

  1. So glad to have you in the group and thanks for the shout out! Your planner is beautiful. You asked about the links in your message to me and the only one I know that has changed is Lorraine's. Her new blog home is: http://lorrainebell.com/

    Thanks so much!!
    RM :)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments and appreciate that you are taking the time to visit. Note: All comments are moderated and will be reviewed before posting so they might not show up immediately. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...